Shootout suspect Burkhardt takes own life, MCSO says

STAFF REPORT

MOBILE — A man indicted for five counts of attempted murder in connection with a drug-sting shootout with undercover officers in 2016 took his own life in Mobile Metro Jail early Friday, the Mobile County Sheriff’s Office said.

Ryan Scott Burkhardt, 33, was found by jail corrections officers in his cell and was taken to a local hospital where he was pronounced dead at 1:25 a.m., MCSO spokeswoman Lori Myles said.

The sheriff’s office did not elaborate on the manner in which Burkhardt ended his life, only calling the case an apparent suicide.

Burkhardt was wounded along with one of the five undercover officers involved in the sting in Grand Bay on April 1, 2016. According to the indictments, the other four counts of attempted murder were for the four officers who were fired at but not wounded during the incident. Burkhardt spent six days in the hospital before being released.

Burkhardt had been in Metro Jail ever since the April 2016 arrest.  Holds had also been placed on Burkhardt on federal charges related to the incident, according to jail records.

Leave a Comment